MetaShare Service Description
MetaShare is an enhancement to SharePoint Online, a part of Office 365 that enables organizations to easily manage documents.
Terms and conditions
MetaShare’s terms and conditions can be found on this page.
- SharePoint Online Plan 1 or SharePoint Online Plan 2, currently included in these Office 365 plans:
- Business (Maximum of 300 users)
- Microsoft 365 Business Basic, formerly known as Office 365 Business Essentials
- Microsoft 365 Business Standard, formerly know as Office 365 Business Premium
- Enterprise (Unlimited number of users)
- Office 365 Enterprise E1
- Office 365 Enterprise E3
- Office 365 Enterprise E5
- Office 365 Enterprise F1*
- Education (Unlimited number of users)
- Office 365 Education
- Government (Unlimited number of users)
- Office 365 Government E1
- Office 365 Government E3
- Office 365 Government E5
*) For the F1 Licenses (Firstline Workspace/Kiosk) to be used you need to have at least one other supported license in your tenant.
- Business (Maximum of 300 users)
- Web browsers: Office 365 and MetaShare are designed to work with the current version of these browsers:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
MetaShare’s boundaries and limits
The limitations for the MetaShare service, file upload limits, list threshold values and storage limits, are based on the limitations of SharePoint Online. For details, see the SharePoint Online software boundaries and limits.
For details about MetaShare specific limitations and known issues, see MetaShare’s known issues page, also accessible from the Help link under MetaShare’s Help function.
Data storage and backup
All customer’s documents accessible through MetaShare are stored in SharePoint Online. Microsoft’s Data protection services are provided to prevent the loss of SharePoint Online data. All deleted content is stored in a recycle bin for 93 days. For longer data protection we recommend a third-party backup solution.
Activation of MetaShare does not take more than a few minutes. In order to activate MetaShare you however need to be a global administrator on SharePoint and on Azure Active Directory. Information about the actual MetaShare activation can be found in these three pages:
- How do I activate MetaShare?
- What does MetaShare do during an activation?
- What permissions does the MetaShare app require?
See the MetaShare feature comparison page in order to find out which MetaShare solution best fits your organization’s needs.
Maintenance, upgrades and updates of the Service
MetaShare is continuously developed with improvements and new features that will make MetaShare easier to use. In average we do 10 releases per year. Information about these updates are communicated a few days in advance, through e-mail, and also listed in the upcoming release notes page. For information about the latest MetaShare releases, see the release notes page.
MetaShare online help
In MetaShare’s help page you find help within the following four topics:
- MetaShare user manual
- MetaShare administration manual
- MetaShare FAQ
- Known issues with SharePoint/MetaShare
Open a support case
With an active MetaShare subscription, our customers’ MetaShare administrators have the right to open a support case. Depending on severity and type of support agreement, the response time will vary.
Types of support agreements
- Basic support
- Access to MetaShare’s online help.
- Pay per use support
- A response is guaranteed within 40 office hours.
- You will be charged a support startup cost per case plus the time spent on the support cases.
- Premium support
- A response is guaranteed within 8 office hours.
- You will be charged on the time spent on the support cases.
MetaShare and GDPR
No customer information, data or content of customer is stored in MetaShare, apart from:
- Customer information used in the MetaShare activation process (e.g. the date of the MetaShare activation, the URL to customer’s SharePoint tenant and the administrator’s e-mail address).
- MetaShare’s configuration (e.g. which filters and columns to display in the user interface).
- For all the workspaces/sites that are accessible through MetaShare’s user interface, we store their names, their URLs and their any applied workspace metadata.
MetaShare does not store any of its customer’s documents or information about its users. Further description on how MetaShare manages GDPR.