- Documents are split into too many Teams / SharePoint sites.
- Documents are harder to find, as the documents are created and stored in different Teams / SharePoint sites, it will become difficult to find your way back to the correct SharePoint site. You also do not know if the document is correct or if there is a more recent version saved on another SharePoint site or a file server.
- As it is easy to create folder structures in SharePoint sites, your users will continue storing documents in folders rather than tagging them with metadata.
- The documents are split into different SharePoint sites, which leads to poorer knowledge sharing and accessibility.
- Metadata tagging is not standard which makes it more difficult to search and find documents, the search engine does not work optimally.
- Users can create Teams or SharePoint sites freely. Organizations rarely have a strategy for how to organize their document sets in Teams or SharePoint.
- If you have configured Teams / SharePoint to include mandatory metadata, users can still upload documents without being forced to tag with these metadata fields.
What do you do about these issues?
The simple answer is to get MetaShare, but here we give some tips on what you should do to start creating order in Office 365.
- Categorize and decide which SharePoint sites and Teams you should create, where you should store certain types of documents and which documents you should not handle in these locations. Make a clear description of each Teams or SharePoint site.
- Apply metadata instead of folders in the SharePoint sites that are important for your business.
- Migrate instead of uploading documents to Teams / SharePoint. When migrating, file-properties such as created by, modified by, created time and modified time will be kept intact.
- Lock existing file servers and ensure that double storage of documents is not possible.
- Introduce MetaShare in Teams for complete document management functionality. If you use Teams / SharePoint standard, you must configure all Teams / SharePoint sites with document management settings and metadata.
- Customize the search engine in Office 365 so you can refine search results based on metadata. It becomes extremely easier to find documents.